Contemporary is a style of expressive dance that combines elements of several dance genres including modern & ballet. Contemporary dancers strive to connect the mind and the body through fluid dance movements. The term “contemporary” is somewhat misleading: it describes a genre that developed during the mid-20th century and is still very popular today.
We invite our Teen dancers to explore two styles in our combined classes: Contemporary / Jazz, or Contemporary / Lyrical.
- Any colour/style bodysuit and footless/transition tights
- Any colour/style dance shorts or dance leggings – Optional
- NO tank tops or t-shirts etc.
- Bare feet for Contemporary & Tan split sole jazz shoes like the Dttrol jazz shoes (or an option for skin tone) for the jazz portion of class
- ALL jazz dancers, you can wear the colour you currently have in class, but will need appropriate colour for recital & competition
- Hair off the face in a ponytail or bun
- Any colour fitted dance shirt or tank top
- Dance Belt – (similar to a jock strap a dance belt is a specialized undergarment worn by male dancers for support) *as needed
- Any colour/style dance shorts or dance pants
- Are feet for Contemporary & Tan split sole jazz shoes like the Dttrol jazz shoes (or an option for skin tone) for the jazz portion of class
- Hair off face/out of eyes